Alabama Practice Report 8/31: Tide Begins Game Week Practice
Alabama’s first official practice of game week has come and gone.
Though the Crimson Tide began Wisconsin game week preparations as early as last Friday, Monday marked the usual beginning of such arrangements. The Crimson Tide worked out in full pads outside on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields.
- During the second media viewing period, Jake Coker, Cooper Bateman, Alec Morris and David Cornwell rotated in that order throwing deep passes. Blake Barnett, meanwhile, was working as the scout team quarterback. Earlier Monday, Coker, Bateman and Morris were listed as co-starters at quarterback on the team's depth chart released to the media.
- In front of Barnett along the offensive line was Cam Robinson, Ross Pierschbacher, Ryan Kelly, Alphonse Taylor and Dominick Jackson. Taylor is listed as co-starter at right guard, along with Bradley Bozeman, though Taylor has received most of the first-team reps at the position as of late. O.J. Howard and Dakota Ball were the two tight ends lined up alongside the offensive line during that time.
- Offensive lineman Korren Kirven (knee) returned to practice for the first time since injuring his knee in the team's last fall scrimmage over a week ago. Kirven, though, looked to be standing off to the side as the offensive linemen went through drills. On the depth chart, he was listed as the third-string left tackle instead of second-string, where he has been for much of fall camp, because he is currently questionable for Saturday's game against Wisconsin, coach Nick Saban said during his noon press conference.
- Linebacker Dillon Lee was practicing with the outside linebackers, where he is listed as the team's starting SAM linebacker when Alabama lines up in its base 3-4 defense, instead of with the inside linebackers where he also plays.
- Wide receiver Cam Sims wore a white jersey during the media viewing periods. Though Saban expressed some doubts about Sims' chances of returning to game action this season earlier in the month, he said Monday that Sims could possibly play Saturday against Wisconsin after all.
"Cam Sims is now been back on the practice field and is now getting better, and is getting reps and playing," Saban said. "We’ll see how he develops and probably make a call later in the week as to whether we can use him in this game or not."
- A number of reserve players continue to wear scout team jerseys to represent key Wisconsin players.
Selected players will speak to the media at 1 p.m. Tuesday. At 3:40 p.m., Alabama will hold its next practice open to the media.
Saban and selected players spoke to the media prior to practice Monday, as they will do each game week from now until the end of the season.
Check out a video from Monday’s practice: