Alabama Practice Report 9/7: Tide Begins Middle Tennessee State Prep
In college football, there’s never a day off.
Fresh off its 35-17 win over Wisconsin this past Saturday, Alabama was back on the practice field Monday afternoon in its first full day of preparation for its home opener against Middle Tennessee State this weekend. The Crimson Tide wore shells (helmets, shoulder pads and shorts), as it worked outside on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields.
- The quarterback groups look just like they have been throughout the offseason workouts. Jake Coker and Alec Morris worked in one group on one side throwing passes to receivers, while Cooper Bateman, David Cornwell and Blake Barnett worked in the other.
- Right guard Alphonse Taylor, who started and more series than co-starter Bradley Bozeman at the position against Wisconsin, appeared to still be the frontrunner at the position.
- Offensive lineman Korren Kirven and wide receiver Parker Barrineau were both practicing Monday. Last Monday ahead of Wisconsin, Saban said both players were questionable against the Badgers, but both dressed out. Barrineau saw action in the game.
- Backup right tackle Brandon Greene, who switched from No. 58 to No. 89 prior to the Wisconsin game before playing in the game late as No. 58, wore No. 58 in practice Monday. Greene, who worked as a tight end for much of last season, wears No. 58 when he is working as an offensive lineman and No. 89 when is in a tight end. Last season when he was playing at tight end, Greene wore No. 89.
- Cam Sims, who was a last-minute decision to play against Wisconsin after tearing his ACL in the spring, Saban said last week, practiced. He also saw action against Wisconsin.
- Dillon Lee worked with the inside linebackers. When the team released its depth chart last week, he was listed as a starting outside linebacker. Lee, in the past, has periodically switched back and forth between the two position groups during practices.
- Shaun Dion Hamilton, who started at Alabama's WILL linebacker position against the Badgers, was not at practice Monday. During drills, Reggie Ragland and Reuben Foster were the first inside linebacker pair, followed by Dillon Lee and Keith Holcombe.
- Inside linebackers Walker Jones and Adonis Thomas wore the No. 24 scout team jersey of Middle Tennessee State linebacker Cavellis Luckett.
Selected players will speak to the media at 1 p.m. Tuesday. At 3:40 p.m., Alabama will hold its next practice open to the media.
Saban and selected players also spoke to the media prior to practice Monday, as they do during each game week.
Check out videos from Monday’s practice: