Alabama Practice Report 9/9: Freshman QB Back on the Practice Field
Alabama continued its preparations for its home opener against Middle Tennessee State on Wednesday. The Crimson Tide practiced in full pads inside the Hank Crisp Indoor Practice Facility.
- Freshman quarterback Blake Barnett was back at practice after missing Tuesday’s workout for an unknown reason. He was working with the scout team offense, where David Cornwell was Tuesday in his place.
- When lined up in one line, the quarterback order was Jake Coker, Alec Morris and Cooper Bateman. During that portion of the viewing period, Coker badly overthrew receivers Robert Foster and Deionte Thompson on deep balls, but later redeemed himself with a perfect strike to Foster.
- When the quarterbacks broke off into two lines, Coker was at the front of one line and Bateman at the other. Freshman Calvin Ridley made an impressive one-handed grab at this point in practice on a throw from Cornwell.
- Alphonse Taylor continues to work with the first-team offensive line. He took the majority at the position in the season opener against Wisconsin.
- A number of Alabama running backs are wearing scout team jerseys this week, representing Middle Tennessee State playmakers. Lawrence Erekosima (No. 43) and Xavian Marks (No. 31) wore Blue Raiders redshirt freshman receiver Richie James’ No. 87, Derrick Gore and a walk-on running back whose number is usually No. 44 wore junior running back Shane Tucker’s No. 1 and Brandon Turner wore redshirt senior running back Jeremiah Bryson’s No. 5.
- Freshman cornerback Kendall Sheffield (No. 11) wore No. 9, which is worn by Blue Raiders freshman wide receiver Isiah Upton.
- Atlanta Falcons assistant general manager Scott Pioli watched practice from the sideline.
Saban and selected players will speak to the media after practice tonight around 6 p.m.