Alabama Practice Report 9/28: Scarbrough Sheds Scout Team Jersey; Allen Practices
Alabama began its preparation for Georgia – whom the Crimson Tide plays in Athens this Saturday at 2:30 p.m. on CBS – outside on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields Monday. The players wore shells (helmets, shoulder pads and shorts) on an overcast day in Tuscaloosa.
- Running back Bo Scarbrough did not wear a scout team jersey to emulate a key Georgia running back. While he hasn’t worn one each week this season and it doesn’t necessarily mean he is immune from having to wear one again, it does help reinforce coach Nick Saban’s plans to possibly use him against the Bulldogs.
Scarbrough, a freshman, is eligible to play for the first time Saturday after recovering from an ACL tear and serving a four-game NCAA suspension to start this season.
- Defensive lineman Jonathan Allen practiced without any noticeable limitations after leaving Saturday’s game against Louisiana-Monroe with a shoulder injury that forced his arm into a sling.
After the game on Saturday, Saban said Allen was “day-to-day” with a shoulder injury that has been a recurring issue for the junior. On Monday, Saban slightly updated Allen’s status, saying he would practice.
- Defensive back Jabriel Washington (knee) also practiced Monday after returning to practice last week. Saban said Washington, who has not played in a game this season due to the injury, will be “probably available” for this Saturday’s game.
- Linebacker Dillon Lee worked with the team’s outside linebackers during the media’s lone viewing period of practice. This may be because Alabama may play more in its base 3-4 defense against Georgia, and Lee, who also splits times with the inside linebackers, is an outside linebacker first.
As is customary on any game week practice, numerous Alabama players wore scout team jerseys to emulate key Georgia players. Here is a list of a few at a couple of different position groups:
- At running back, Ronnie Clark and Derrick Gore, both of whom who have some limited action this season, wore No. 27 for sophomore running back Nick Chubb, Georgia’s starter. Xavian Marks and at least three other walk-ons wore No. 1 for backup Sony Michel.
Of the running backs, only Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Damien Harris and Scarbrough did not wear scout team jerseys.
- At wide receiver, Deionte Thompson wore senior wideout Malcolm Mitchell’s No. 26 jersey. At least two walk-ons wore No. 5 for freshman wideout Terry Godwin.
- At linebacker, Jamey Mosley and two others wore No. 84 for junior outside linebacker Leonard Floyd. Walker Jones and Keaton Anderson wore the No. 51 jersey of senior inside linebacker Jake Ganus.
Selected players will speak to the media at 1 p.m. Tuesday. At 3:40 p.m., Alabama will hold its next practice.
Check out videos from Monday’s practice: