Alabama Practice Report 8/19: Coker Goes Through Drills
Alabama’s practice schedule didn’t miss a beat Wednesday, despite the school beginning its first day of classes. The Crimson Tide practiced in full pads outside on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields.
Note: Because it was the first day of classes at Alabama today, the Crimson Tide was able to expand its 105-man roster from fall camp. This means that walk-ons and players who were physically unable to practice during fall camp were able to practice with the team for the first time this season. More on some examples of that below.
- Quarterback Jake Coker (foot) went through drills for the first time since his abrupt absence from Alabama’s final two-a-day of fall camp this past Monday. Coker, as he had for much of the time prior to his injury, was the first quarterback in line through drills.
A day ago, Coker was spotted at practice but worked with head trainer Jeff Allen off to the side and did not participate in drills. When Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban addressed the injury via statement on Monday, he described the injury as “minor.” We should learn more tonight about the injury during Saban’s press conference.
- During the second of two media viewing periods, the quarterbacks broke up into two separate groups with, in order, Coker, Alec Morris and Cooper Bateman in one line, and David Cornwell, Blake Barnett and two new walk-ons (Nos. 10 and 19) in the second line.
- Sophomore wide receiver Cam Sims returned to practice for the first time since tearing his ACL in the spring, sporting a black, non-contact jersey. His left knee was wrapped and had a brace, but he appeared to have little trouble running and catching passes on a few routes.
- Redshirt freshman center Joshua Casher (pec) and true freshman linebacker Anfernee Jennings (herniated disc) were also practicing for the first time this fall, also wearing black, non-contact jerseys.
- When Alabama’s defense lined up in its dime formation, Cyrus Jones and Marlon Humphrey were the two corners, Geno Matias-Smith and Eddie Jackson the two safeties, Minkah Fitzpatrick at Star, Maurice Smith at Money and Reuben Foster at linebacker. This was the same first-team group as Tuesday’s practice.
Saban and selected players will speak to the media after practice, beginning around 6 p.m.
Check out videos from Wednesday's practice: