Alabama Practice Report 9/30: Scarbrough Works at H-Back
Alabama practiced outside on the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields Wednesday, the media’s last glimpse of the team before Saturday’s game at No. 8 Georgia. The Crimson Tide wore full pads.
- Running back Bo Scarbrough, who coach Nick Saban said Monday may have a role against Georgia now that he is eligible to play, lined up at H-back during walkthroughs in the second of two media viewing periods Wednesday. In the past, Saban has said Scarbrough could play H-back.
During the first viewing period, Scarbrough practiced with the running backs during drills.
- When the defense was in its dime package, freshman Ronnie Harrison was the Money instead of junior Maurice Smith.
- Both defensive lineman Jonathan Allen (shoulder) and defensive back Jabriel Washington (knee) practiced for the third straight day. Allen had a brace on his left shoulder, which he injured last Saturday against Louisiana-Monroe.
- Scouts from the Buffalo Bills and Indianapolis Colts watched practice from the sidelines.
Scout team jerseys, emulating Georgia players:
- Of the running backs, one wore the No. 27 of sophomore Nick Chubb, the Bulldogs’ top offensive weapon, while three others wore No. 1 of backup Sony Michel.
So, to no surprise, Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake, Damien Harris and Scarbrough were the only running backs not wearing scout team jerseys. Scarbrough could play in an Alabama uniform for the first time against Georgia.
- For the wide receivers, freshmen Derek Kief and Deionte Thompson had on No. 26 for senior wideout Malcolm Mitchell. Freshman Xavian Marks, while a running back, donned No. 16 for sophomore wideout Isaiah McKenzie. Marks and McKenzie are similar in size, with the former at 5-foot-8, 160 pounds and the latter at 5-8, 170.
- The tight ends saw Johnny Dwight wear No. 87 for senior tight end Jay Rome.
- In the secondary, freshman cornerback Kendall Sheffield wore No. 14 for sophomore cornerback Malkom Parrish. Sheffield has worn a scout team jersey in every week this season.
- Among the outside linebackers, Christian Miller donned senior outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins’ No. 59, while Jamey Mosley wore No. 84 of junior outside linebacker Leonard Floyd.
- At inside linebacker, Walker Jones wore No. 51 for senior linebacker Jake Ganus.
- One defensive lineman, redshirt freshman O.J. Smith, wore a scout team jersey. He wore senior defensive tackle Sterling Bailey's No. 58.
Saban and selected players will speak to the media after practice tonight around 6 p.m.